What is the PoleStar Journalism Awards?
The PoleStar Journalism Awards celebrates journalists who have achieved excellence in Technology Journalism, Business Journalism and Good News Feature. This annual award pays tribute to their contribution and commitment towards the nation and its people, and also for tirelessly acting as a catalyst in disseminating quality information to the world.
When did The PoleStar Journalism Awards start?
The PoleStar Foundation instituted The PoleStar Journalism Awards in 1998 to celebrate Excellence in IT & Business Journalism.
Who is eligible for The PoleStar Journalism Awards?
Journalists who work with an Indian print or online publication are eligible for the award.
What are the other criteria?
- For Best Feature in Business, Technology and Good News Journalism, only stories that have appeared in print and online media (English only) between 1st July, 2019 and 30th June, 2020 can be nominated for the 22nd Annual PoleStar Awards
- A journalist is welcome to nominate himself /herself directly
- You are entitled to send TWO entries per category
- You can send nominations for all the Three categories
- You can nominate fellow journalists for the award
- Only articles published in English can be nominated; nominations in any other language will not be accepted
- Only online nominations will be accepted. You can access the form here
What is the procedure to be followed in case of multiple bylines?
- The nomination form for multiple byline stories should have the names of all the main contributors
- If the story is chosen as a winner in any category, the award will be shared by all the main contributors
- If one of the contributors is not willing to participate in the award, he/she has to express the same in writing and this note should be attached with the nomination form
What are the award categories?
- Best Feature in Technology Journalism
- Best Feature in Business Journalism
- Best Good News Feature
- Jury Special Mention
What is the time period for sending in the nomination/s?
Nomination window opens during July every year and the announcement will be made on the portal.
What kinds of stories are eligible for nomination under 'Best feature in Business Journalism' category?
Any article on business / industry that has appeared in print or online medium is eligible. The stories need to be of interest to readers seeking business / industry information.
What kinds of stories are eligible for nomination under 'Best feature in Technology Journalism' category?
Any article on technology that has appeared in print or online medium is eligible. The stories need to be of interest to readers seeking to know about IT/Tech.
What kinds of stories are eligible for nomination under 'Best feature in Good News Journalism' category?
Any motivating/positive article that has appeared in print or online medium is eligible. The stories need to be of interest to readers seeking positive news about the society/world.
Should the entry be submitted by the publication or the journalist?
Journalists across the country may nominate themselves directly or get nominated by their peers from the industry for the awards in any category.
Are the Awards open to all publications?
The awards are open only to Indian publications (print and online).
Can a freelancer nominate himself / herself?
Yes. A nominee can either be full-time writer/journalist or a freelancer.
How does one send his / her nomination?
- Click on the 'Nominate Now' button
- Fill in all the details and attach either a link or a jpeg image of the nominated story and submit the form
- Only online nominations will be accepted
- Incomplete nomination forms will not be accepted
- There is no entry fee for sending in your nominations
- For any information/clarification, please write to email@example.com
What are the parameters for judging an entry?
- The PoleStar Journalism Awards jury makes its judgment, based on the nominated stories only. It reserves the right to accept or reject nominations.
The nominated article is then rated on a scale of 1 - 10 by the jury, based on the following parameters:
- Subject / Domain Knowledge
- How well does the journalist know the subject of the story.
- Writing / Presentation Style
- The jury looks for specific attributes like the presentation of facts, the writing style, the use of diagrams /charts /other pictorial depictions, simplicity of language and logical flow of thoughts.
- Each article is judged on the time of its release to ascertain, specifically, its relevance and importance.
- Overall impact
- Impact on the reader (validated /explained by the journalist in the nomination form) and impact on jury members.
- Quality of research, accuracy of forecast and other related factors will be taken into account.
- Based on the entries, the jury may also develop a more relevant criterion, which may directly impact the decision-making procedure.
Who comprises the panel of judges?
The PoleStar Journalism Awards jury is an independent panel comprising industry stalwarts and distinguished citizens, who represent various walks of life. No member of The PoleStar Foundation, or their relatives, are part of the jury.